Re: IP masquerading

--- joebosak@uku.co.uk wrote:

> I wonder if someone could help please!
>
> I've upgraded to sarge, and built a new kernel with
> lots of the networking
> options built in.
>
> I've tried to set up IP masquerading so I can use my
> Debian PC as a router
> to a [dialup] ISP.  The Debian machine has a serial
> modem and an ethernet
> card.  The ethernet connects OK to the other
> computers [Macs and Windows] -
> you can ping either way and get responses.
>
> Once connected to the ISP, the Debian machine can
> ping the IP address of its
> modem and get a response, and canload web pages.
> But other machines get
> nothing when I try.
>
> dmesg on the Debian machine only lists:
>
> 192.168.0.0, although the address of eth0 is
> 192.168.0.5
> the IP address of the modem ppp0
> and 0.0.0.0 with the modem IP under "gateway".
>
> Any idea what could be wrong?

Try to setup your default gw to the address of the ppp
connection

#route add default gw ppp_address

also see how is you maskerade with
#iptables -L -t nat

if is not active you shoul do like this

iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o ethx -j SNAT --to
ppp_address

ethx is your external interface
Hope this help!!!

=====
--
Sergio Basurto J.

If I have seen further it is by standing on the
shoulders of giants. (Isaac Newton)