IP masquerading

I wonder if someone could help please! I've upgraded to sarge, and built a new kernel with lots of the networking options built in. I've tried to set up IP masquerading so I can use my Debian PC as a router to a [dialup] ISP. The Debian machine has a serial modem and an ethernet card. The ethernet connects OK to the other computers [Macs and Windows] - you can ping either way and get responses. Once connected to the ISP, the Debian machine can ping the IP address of its modem and get a response, and canload web pages. But other machines get nothing when I try. dmesg on the Debian machine only lists:
192.168.0.0, although the address of eth0 is 192.168.0.5
the IP address of the modem ppp0
and 0.0.0.0 with the modem IP under "gateway". Any idea what could be wrong?