Re: Using AutoCAD 2005 on linux:

Quoting John Foster (jfoster@augustmail.com):

> There is virtually NO free software that comes close to AutoCad in
> features as far as I am aware.

Possibly of interest:

Back in 2002, before the Linux Gazette staff left SSC's hosting and
moved to linuxgazette.NET, a guy named Richard Brown submitted this tip
to the Answer Gang column:

    Saw your "not yet". I am a mechanical engineer. I run AutoCAD daily
    on Linux using VMware. (Running SuSE 8.0 or 7.3, AMD 1.4 with 768
    Mg) Works beautifully. Frequently, I had 10 or 15 sessions of
    AutoCAD running at the same time. Never a problem. Nice also when I
    want to reload or update, as from 7.3 to 8.0; simply copy the back
    the Windows 2000 file. To me, it is the preferable way to run
    AutoCAD.

    -richard

I maintain a list of Linux options, highlighting the free-software /
open source ones, at "CAD[D]" on http://linuxmafia.com/kb/Apps/ .