Re: Using AutoCAD 2005 on linux:

On Monday 06 December 2004 10:25 pm, Mike wrote:
> I use autocad frequently.  Is there some way to emulate it or is there a
> linux version available.  I have heard that WINE and AutoCAD are not
> very stable.  I heard that architects prefer linux for large projects
> instead of windows.  I want to use AutoCAD.  There has to be some way.
> This is the last piece of software holding me back.
---------------------------REPLY--------------------------
If you are using AutoCad to make your living: I strongly suggest you examin
Linux Cad:
http://www.linuxcad.com/
It is a pretty exact replacement at a much better price. There is virtually NO
free software that comes close to AutoCad in features as far as I am aware. I
have done extensive research on this and have several 'CAD' systems currently
installed and running on Debian Linux. If you want to do 3D development you
may want to try BRL-CAD:
http://ftp.arl.army.mil/brlcad/
as it far surpasses anything currently available, even AutoCad. It has a VERY
steep learning curve. The best of the others that I have tried are Octree  &
Cycas:
http://www.octree.de/
http://www.cycas.de/
 but they are still very young. They show a lot of promise.
Both BRL-CAD, which requires a security verification process,  and Octree
which has a very unusual GUI, are free. The others may offer trial stuff, but
to gain funcionality you will need to consider a purchase.
BTW: I am not in any way an expert in CAD systems, I do build high end
personal workstations and use these apps to test the hardware.
Good Luck.
--
John Foster