DSL NAT problems, take 3 (pppd[1770]: Couldn't increase MTU to 1500)

Hi there.

In several ocations, my router has suddenly stoped NATing properly: when the PC's in my LAN try to connect to an Internet host the programs will just wait a connection in vain, without error or timeout...

The router has Debian Sarge, kernel 2.4.26-1, pppoe_3.5-4.

I can't say what triggers the malfunction: updating or whatever, but has previously two times (first in august, IIRC). The first time the problem dissapeared after a couple of days. The next time I tried many things to solve it. The only clue was a message from pppd when connecting:

Sep 24 19:45:48 severo pppd[1770]: Couldn't increase MTU to 1500

So far I had not touched the MTU; I tried with

pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth1 -T 80 -m 1452"

and

pty "/usr/sbin/pppoe -I eth1 -T 80 -m 1412"

in /etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider. Tried blanking iptables filters, pppoeconfig like mad, and other bizarre things, to no avail. Until I decided to comment out:

#plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0

and then all worked perfectly! Don't ask me why, since I'm for sure using PPPoE. But disabling the PPPoE plugin got my router on the road again.

Well, it happened again about a week ago. The plugin line was uncommented (on an update?), so I commented it again, but now when I "pon dsl-provider" without the plugin the PPP data appears on the screen, and of course there is no connection. The squid proxy does alleviate part of the problem: the lanners can browse and use programs with http proxiing, but everything else just hangs indefinitely without connecting.

I have not found much info about the "Couldn't increase MTU to 1500" message on the net, and there's nothing related to my case. Any hints would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.