Re: Suggestions for DVD/CD writing software?

On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 10:52:38PM -0500, Ben Bettin wrote:
> If I'm doomed and must use the console to burn cd-r, cd-rw, dvd-r, and
> dvd-rw's, does anyone have some linkage to a nice tutorial describing
> how to do it?

You probably have some how-tos in a subdirectory of
/usr/share/doc/HOWTO. Look for the CD-Writing-HOWTO. Maybe there's
some info in DVD-Playback-HOWTO as well.

Basically for CDs (I have no DVDs):

- put the files you want in a directory

- make an iso (=image) file of that directory with mkisofs. Read `man
  mkisofs'.

- Optionally try to mount the image file via loopback to test if it
  works. You usually need to be root for this to work:

    mount -t iso9660 -o -ro,loop=/dev/loop0 <name of isofile> /cdrom

  Now you can check the contents of /cdrom to see if they are what you
  expect them to be. Do `umount /cdrom' after this.

- burn the iso file with cdrecord. See `man cdrecord' and indeed the
  CD-Writing-HOWTO.

To clear a CD-RW, use `cdrecord -blank=fast' or `cdrecord -blank=all'.

You need to set some defaults in /etc/default/cdrecord or add info to
the commandline on where cdrecord can find the actual device and how
fast it should burn.

Burning under Linux kernel 2.4 is different from kernel 2.6. Most info
could be specific for 2.4 so watch out there.

This works for me, but a graphical program like k3b is more
userfriendly and /should/ also function. So I hope you can get that to
work with some help from the list.

"Let your advance worrying become advance thinking and planning."
 - Winston Churchill