Re: installing nagios removed other programs (was: Command line network monitoring tool)

p wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 07, 2004 at 05:11:17PM -0500, Adam Aube wrote:
>> p wrote:

>> > i just tried to install "nagios-common" and it
>> > removed a lot of my good programs

>> > why would a "network monitoring tool" need to
>> > decimate a system?

>> > i was running sid.

>> I am running Sid as well, and I see nothing in the details of the
>> nagios-common package that would make it remove those packages. In fact,
>> I just tried installing it myself, and while it will install additional
>> packages, it is not going to removing anything.

>> Are you using any unofficial Debian repositories?

> not to my knowledge.  i changed "stable" to "sid" in
> my "sources.list" file.

So you had "stable" there before, and switched them to "sid" to install
nagios? If that's the case, then that mixing of stable and sid (unstable)
is probably what caused the problem.

The best way to fix this is to run "apt-get dist-upgrade" multiple times
until it doesn't want to install anything. You will then be running a pure
sid system.

Adam