Re: installing nagios removed other programs (was: Command line network monitoring tool)

p wrote:

> i just tried to install "nagios-common" and it
> removed a lot of my good programs--gimp, xine,
> mplayer....  that doesn't even begin to scratch
> the surface.  (i'm still trying to access the
> totality of what it removed.)  from what's left,
> i may have to rebuild the box.  (mplayer won't
> even install now.)

> why would a "network monitoring tool" need to
> decimate a system?

> i was running sid.

I am running Sid as well, and I see nothing in the details of the
nagios-common package that would make it remove those packages. In fact, I
just tried installing it myself, and while it will install additional
packages, it is not going to removing anything.

Are you using any unofficial Debian repositories? Can you post the command
you used to install nagios-common (and its full output)?

Adam