From: John Fleming [mailto:john@wa9als.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 7 December 2004 11:28 a.m.
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Can't eject CD

Pse help newbie - My CD/RW lite is on, and I can't eject the CD. I really don't want to reboot just for this. My device is ATAPI:0,0,0. I've tried
cdrecord -eject to no avail.  Any help please?

Debian Sarge

Make sure that you are not in the cdrom directory.

CD-ROM drives can be a terrible pain. I find the 'eject' command almost never fails. However it is likely this does the same thing as 'cdrecord -eject.' You could of course use a paperclip, though it might not be a good idea while the drive is powered. Are any processes locking the drive? Is it mounted? 'lsof /cdrom' may be of some help in finding out why the drive is locked.

Michael Spang