Re: Upgrading the woody kernel

On 2004-12-04, Rob Bochan <debian-user@lists.debian.org> wrote:
> On Saturday 04 December 2004 04:42 pm, Felixk Karpfen wrote:
><snip>
>> - please point to documentation, full and sufficiently simple to be
>>   understood by amateurs.
><s'more snip>
>>

> Here's a newbie oriented, step-by-step, set of docs for just that purpose:
> http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/kernel-pkg/index-kernel-pkg.html
>
> It's not too difficult. If I can do it, anyone can ;o)

Thank you.

The account is admirably concise and easy to follow.

But the example of the update - from kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 to kernel
2.4.18 does not sound to me like a major update.

If I settle for an update to the more stable Sarge kernel (2.4.27), will
the described update routine find and load the modules that could not
loaded into kernel 2.4.18-bf2.4 (because the needed drivers do not exist
for kernels older than 2.4.21)?  Having installed both Woody and Sarge
I am conscious that I had to try and load modules in the Woody install,
while the new Installer did it all for me in Sarge.

Felix Karpfen

--
Felix Karpfen
Public Key 72FDF9DF (DH/DSA)