paper size

In a sarge installation, I should have leter as paper size for my
system, but it seems more like a4. Checking config.ps I see a4 listed
before letter. A few years ago, it meant that ps docs produced locally
would be a4 by default. Then I had to manually tweak it to get
paper size. Afterwards someone wrote in the list that the
configuration for dvips was done differently than before. Mozilla
pages printed through postscript default are fine, but docs processed
through dvis, psresize, pstops, etc are a mess. Would anyone know
where the problem is? Just interchanging the corresponding lines
position in config.ps?
TIA.