Re: Framebuffer console - chrooted Debian install

On Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:31:10 -0500, cga <cga9999@softhome.net> wrote:
> I followed the directions in the Debian installation manual (section
> 3.7) to install woody from an existing RedHat system and everything went
> very smoothly. The only annoyance is that the graphical console was not
> enabled by default. This is a major problem in my case since I do not
> plan to install 'X' as this point. So I need to get this to work before
> I can further configure the system (I don't feel too comfortable with
> chroot..). I tried to check whether the framebuffer console was enabled
> in the kernel (builtin or module) but I cannot find where the kernel's
> source is located so I'm unable to run "make menuconfig". I understand I

In /boot you should find the config used to compile the kernel, i'm
not quite sure if is the same for Woody, anyway you can look in
/usr/share/doc/kernel-image-2.4-X where you should find all the info
you need.

> need to do this the Debian way. I don't remember being prompted for any
> information regarding the video chip on this laptop (ATI Mach64
> Rage/Pro) when I ran "base-config". Is there a utility that I need to
> run at this point that takes care of configuring my display? Where
> should I look for more information on how to proceed?

Probably you need to install at least "fbset" package.

Andrea