APT / DSelect questions

Over my time on debian, I've been getting better at using these great tools,
but I have a couple of questions for the experts here:

(1) What is the best way to determine exactly which packages / versions are
currently installed on my system?

(2) Procedure question: I currently have Python 2.3 installed on my system.
When I want to upgrade to Python 2.4, what is the correct procedure. I have
several extra packages installed for 2.3; I need to insure that those get
upgraded at the same time as the Python upgrade (which, of course, flows from
question 1 ... how do I find out which packages I have currently installed
that support Python 2.3)

Thanks in advance
---Michael