Re: APT / DSelect questions

Michael Satterwhite <michael@weblore.com> writes:

> (1) What is the best way to determine exactly which packages /
> versions are currently installed on my system?
dpkg -l will list all packages installed and their current versions.

> (2) Procedure question: I currently have Python 2.3 installed on my system.
> When I want to upgrade to Python 2.4, what is the correct procedure. I have
> several extra packages installed for 2.3; I need to insure that those get
> upgraded at the same time as the Python upgrade (which, of course, flows from
> question 1 ... how do I find out which packages I have currently installed
> that support Python 2.3)

apt-get install python2.4.

since all the python extra packages are in the format
python<version>-package, grep dpkg -l for python2.3- and just
install the python2.4 versions of those.

--
Douglas G. Phillips
Distributed Computing         Information Technology Services