Re: Floppy mount & unmount clarification please

On Sun, Nov 28, 2004 at 04:36:45PM -0600, Jim Hall wrote:
> I'm looking for clarification of what I see the floppy mount/unmount
> process doing on Sarge.
>
> 1) A native Linux disc will mount/unmount without asking for a fs type.
>
> 2) A DOS/Windoze disc asks for a fs type.
>
> 3) I believe the default Sarge install for floppy support is a module.
>
> 4) Where do I find out how to "tell" the module to recognize more file
> types? I need the system to just deal with whatever known fs is put in
> the drive. Without damaging anthing.

The (auto) type will try filesystems noted in /proc/filesystems,
so by default it will try the ones the kernel knows about (including
already loaded modules, but it won't load a module to try).

You can change this behaviour (including the order it tries) by putting
the filesystems you want (auto) to check for in the file
/etc/filesystems.  Mine for example is:

	$cat /etc/filesystems
	vfat
	msdos
	ext3
	ext2

$man mount(8) for the explanation of this.

HTH

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.