Floppy mount & unmount clarification please

I'm looking for clarification of what I see the floppy mount/unmount process doing on Sarge.

1) A native Linux disc will mount/unmount without asking for a fs type.

2) A DOS/Windoze disc asks for a fs type.

3) I believe the default Sarge install for floppy support is a module.

4) Where do I find out how to "tell" the module to recognize more file types? I need the system to just deal with whatever known fs is put in the drive. Without damaging anthing.

Jim