Re: Full replacement of MS

On Mon, 2004-11-29 at 05:36 -0800, ken keanon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm still toying with the idea of fully replacing Windows w Debian
> GNU/Linux. The doubt I am still having is this: will I be able to use
> all the data that I had created under Windows, those documents,
> emails, images, audios and videos? Anyone has done a complete and
> successful conversion? Will I have to start-off with a dual-OS system
> and do the conversion via the HD?  Or should I carry out a MS Backup
> of all these data to a CD-RW and use it for the conversion under
> LInux? Would like to hear from you.

Well, one problem is that the MS Backup format is not portable.
Better to "just" burn the plain data files (.DOC, .XLS, .MP3,
etc, etc) to CR-RW.  (Which you should be doing anyway.)

Also, I'd try to add a 2nd hard disk, and install Debian on the
2nd drive.  Then, dual boot until you've come to a point where
you don't need Windows anymore.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

YODA: Code! Yes. A programmer's strength flows from code
maintainability. But beware of Perl. Terse syntax... more than
one way to do it...default variables. The dark side of code
maintainability are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you
when code you write. If once you start down the dark path,
forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.