Re: Full replacement of MS

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:36:26 -0800 (PST)
ken keanon <kenkeanon@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm still toying with the idea of fully replacing Windows w Debian
> GNU/Linux. The doubt I am still having is this: will I be able to use
> all the data that I had created under Windows, those documents,
> emails, images, audios and videos? Anyone has done a complete and
> successful conversion? Will I have to start-off with a dual-OS system
> and do the conversion via the HD?  Or should I carry out a MS Backup
> of all these data to a CD-RW and use it for the conversion under
> LInux? Would like to hear from you.

You should do both ;-) make first a backup, and then try the dual-boot
option, and migrate to Debian step by step. With M.S. Office documents
you might have some trouble, but not much; you can export your mail and
addresses from Outlook into files and then import them without trouble
into Evolution ... videos and music can be converted, or use mplayer.

I did a successfull conversion at work back in 2001 this way: backup,
step by step conversion (if something does not work you still have your
windows to fall back on), then I kept a small win98se partition "just in
case", then gave up to that partition ;-)

best luck,
emil per.