Re: Logging out the window manager

On Sat, 2004-11-27 at 19:50, David Dorward wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 19:28:34 +0100, Bram Mertens <bram-mertens@linux.be> wrote:
> > If I am not mistaken ~/.bash_logout is executed when you log out of a
> > shell.
>
> Technically, it is when you exit a shell that is a login shell.
>
> > and all commands after 'exec window_manager' in ~/.xsession or
> > ~/.xinitrc are run after the window manager terminates.
>
> Not so. "exec" switches the current process to the process specified
> after the exec. So anything following it will never run. You would
> need to call the window manager without exec in order commands after
> it to execute.

Ah, thanks for pointing this out!

So all you would need to do is to add the WM after the backgrounded
commands without exec or an ampersand so the script will wait for the WM
to exit before running the other commands.  Or do you have to add the
exec before the last command so X will be shut down after the command
terminates?  Becuase from man startx I understand that the exec before
the WM is needed so X will shut down.

TIA

Bram
--
# Mertens Bram "M8ram"   <bram-mertens@linux.be>   Linux User #349737 #
# SuSE Linux 8.2 (i586)     kernel 2.4.20-4GB      i686     512MB RAM #