Re: how to mount a windows 'share' under linux

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004, Cristi Banciu wrote:

> will trillich wrote:
>
> > we'd like to automate backups from the office windo~1 box using rsync.

you probably cannot use rsync ..
	- you will need rsyncd on the linux box ( nto a problem )
	- you will need rsync client on the windoze box ( a problem ? )
	unless you are running windoze tools on windoze

> > we can do it usnig samba and the ftp-like interface, but all timestamps
> > are lost this way (unless there's an option we've missed).

to have linux mount windoze ... windoze is configured for any other
network share

all timestamps and permmissions is probably lost in moving windoze files
to linux and back to windoze
	( usually becomes 755 as root.root )
	- you can specify uid.gid as you want for that entire share

> > isn't there some way to mount a windo~1 'share' as part of the linux
> > file system so that rsync can handle the transfers? maybe there's some
> > string of keywords to 'apt-cache search' for?

you can use

	1. smbmount options  C:/my_documents /mnt/windoze
	   and use "tar zcvf /mnt/windoze -mtime -30 .."

	2. you can use smbtar instead

watch out for dumb file anems like:
	office birthday list
	bob's projections
	'any other "dumb" file names' allowed in windoz, that is not
	allowed in *nix

c ya
alvin