Re: xserver cpu load on 2.6 kernels

On Fri, 2004-11-26 at 17:48 +0200, Alexei Chetroi wrote:
>  Hi,
>
>  I'm running Debian testing on Acer travelmate 354 laptop. When running
> on 2.4 kernels, cpu load is about 0% when windowmaker is loaded and
> idle. But, when running kernel 2.6.9, wmcube and wmtop shows me, that
> xfree86 eats about 23% of cpu when idle, and about 40-60% when moving
> mouse pointer. What is wrong?
>
>   Xserver is started with niceness 0, when starting it with niceness -10
> exhibits exactly the same behavior. Is this real cpu load xserver
> exposes on cpu which kernel 2.6 shows me and 2.4 not?
>
>   Thanks in advance!
>
> PS: it is pentium III 733mHz, trident cyberblade video chip.

Are you using the fb, and maybe don't have something important
compiled into the 2.6.9 kernel?

What XFree video driver are you using?

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"We have heard much of the phrase, ''peace and friendship.'' This
phrase, in expressing the aspiration of America, is not complete.
We should say instead, ''peace and friendship, in freedom.''
This, I think, is America's real message to the rest of the
world."
Dwight D Eisenhower