Re: runlevel 2 vs 3 vs 5 deprecated in sarge?

At Fri, 26 Nov 2004 12:55:15 +0000,
Joao Clemente wrote:

> I was testing some stuff that needed rebooting my sarge installation an
> I tought to myself that it was a waste of time to startup X at every
> boot....
> So I headed to /etc/inittab to change it to runlevel 3... but I was
> amazed to see that the value there was 2 !!!!
>
> So, do those standarts of 5 = multiuser + X, 3 = multiuser - X, ...
> stoped being used in sarge? Why?

It never stopped being used. Debian used runlevel 2 as the standard runlevel
forever AFAIK.

The 3 vs. 5 runlevel is a Red-Hat standard, not a linux standard. Debian uses 2
as regular and 1 IIRC as single user.

The others are there if you wan't to create custom ones.

You can just remove/disable the display manager (kdm/wdm/xdm/gdm) if you don't
want X to startup automatically.