Re: vsftpd with shell set to /bin/false

Ruben van Engelenburg <NOSPAM@nospam!.nl> wrote:
> I was installing vsFtpd om my Debian server today and found out that
> users can't login if their shell is set to /bin/false. [...]
> Is there a way to change this behaviour [...]

Add your "shell" to the list in /etc/shells (see "man shells" for some
details).

Actually, I prefer to use a trivial /usr/local/sbin/nologin, which writes
a "Not authorised" type message to stdout and waits for three seconds
before exiting:

	cat <<! >nologin.c && CFLAGS=-O3 LDFLAGS=-s make nologin
	#include <stdio.h>

	main() {
	    puts ("This account is currently not available");
	    sleep (3);
	    exit (0);
	}
	!