exim4 on sarge can't resolve hosts

I'm building a Sarge machine to replace a Woody, and I can't persuade exim4 to do host lookups. All attempts at sending outgoing mail fail with:

R=dnslookup defer (-1): host lookup did not complete.

Running exim4 -d -bt says that DNS lookup of abc.de (MX) gave TRY_AGAIN.

All other programs (as far as I can see) have no trouble using DNS. The Woody machine running exim3, using the same local DNS cache, has no problems.

I vaguely recall having similar problems with exim3 long ago, which I think were solved by removing bydns from the remote smtp configuration, but exim4 doesn't seem to have that to begin with.

All of the exim4 configuration files are original, update-exim4.cof.conf is set for Internet use.
--
Joe