udev and hal and gvm in 2.6.9 not working

I have started to like udev. In Sarge running 2.6.7, when I log into gnome, the hard disk partitions (Windows and hdb ext3 partitions that I mention in /etc/fstab) are shown as icons on the desktop. Also, if I insert my USB stick into a USB port it is shown as an icon on the desktop which dissappears when I pluck the USB stick out.

However, in 2.6.9 kernel (vanilla) the partition icons do not show up on login into gnome. Also, the USB stick is not recognised when it is inserted into the USB socket. Upon further investigation, I discovered in 2.6.9 hald is not running:
14:33:43:~# pgrep hald
14:33:46:~# pgrep udev
904
14:33:49:~# pgrep gnome-volume
14:33:53:~# pgrep hotplug
14:34:00:~#

What could be different in 2.6.9? Things seems to be working 2.6.7. Also, all seems to be fine in Sid in two machines I have running here in my internal home network(at least in gnome, KDE is different story).

Here is what I have installed in Sarge:
$> COLUMNS=50 dpkg -l hotplug udev hal gnome-volume-manager
Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold -l hotplug udev hal gnome-volume-manager | Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed-managernage media devices |/ Err?=(none)/Hold/Reinst-required/X=both-problems (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)r
ii  hotplug        0.0.20040329-1 Linux Hotplug Scripts
ii  udev           0.042-1        /dev/ management daemon
ii  hal            0.2.98-6       Hardware Abstraction Layer
ii gnome-volume-m 1.0.2-4 GNOME daemon to auto-mount and manage media

->HS