[OT] k3b won't fully ackowledge a friends CDR/CDRW

I have an elderly woman, whom I installed debian sarge for.

She now has a cdrwriter installed on her computer, but it fails to full
recognize it. it shows the writer as a reader under all user
accounts,but not under root account.

I'm working remotely, so it's a slow go process.

I've set her k3b the same way as I've set up my version..

I also setup xcdroast, and it successfully finds the reader & the
writer.

No matter what I try, I cannot get k3b to recognized the cdriter.

In the config, it sows the writer as a reader, but it show it to be able
to be write to cdrw, but not cdr

This is the kernel she is running;
uname -a
Linux elkys-home 2.6.8-1-k7 #1 Thu Nov 11 12:47:56 EST 2004 i686
GNU/Linux

Any suggestions.

Thanks

--