Re: This file...I cannot kill it!

On Wed, 2004-11-24 at 08:13 -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> I got an interesting message out of cron today....
>
> /etc/cron.daily/checksecurity:
> find: /home/baloo/.kde/share/config/kcmartsrc: Permission denied
>
> ...and I started thinking, "Oh, maybe if I get rid of that file, I might be
> able to get arts to start working right again...."  Well, I try to rm it as a
> normal user, and I get Permission denied.  Try rm that file again, and again,
> I get Permission denied as root.  I can't change permissions on it, either.
>
> root@ursine:~/.kde/share/config$ ls -l /home/baloo/.kde/share/config/kcmartsrc
> ls: /home/baloo/.kde/share/config/kcmartsrc: Permission denied
>
> How could this happen, and how can I fix it?

(I sent this message yesterday but it still hasn't shown up on the list,
so trying again. Apologies if it's a duplicate.)

I've seen this before on ReiserFS partitions gone bad. Happened to me a
number of times. The best way to make sure that that is, in fact, what's
happening, is to see if you get a "Permission denied" on it when you do
an 'ls' in the directory. If you do, then it's a filesystem problem. In
the case of ReiserFS, it's a filesystem problem requiring a
--rebuild-tree.

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837