Re: Why my KDE is so weak

s. keeling wrote:

Incoming from Lian Liming:
I am using debian ustable with kde 3.3. I wonder why my kde is so weak. It oftern crashes.

I am not curious to know the reasons why my kde often crashes. I just want to know when meeting such problems, how can i analyze the problem. I am not familiar with the log system on Linux. When system crashed, there should be some records on some log files. So which files

First off, it's not a system crash if it's just kde & X Window
crashing.  If the system's not rebooting and remounting filesystems,
it's just one or two large apps (X, kdm, kde, ...) that are dying.

Most system logs are in /var/log.  In your $HOME directory, you may
also find ~/.xsession-errors

It might be helpful if you told us what your box is.  How much RAM,
disk, & etc.  A friend of mine was suffering mysterious crashes and
lockups until we gave up on the internal Winmodem.  Now, it's fine.
Lots of things can cause hiccups like this.

Thank you for reply. Following is the information of my hardware:
cpu: amd althon 1400
mem: 256 ddr
disk: ide 80G
video card: Geforce4
net card: intel e100

I just guess there should be some unstable software that install in my box causing the crash.
I mainly use mozilla browser/mail on daily work with KDE enviroment.
Sometimes not only the kde crash, the whole system has no response.