Re: And the thing is installed by apt-get at... ??

On Tue, 23 Nov 2004 04:31:01 +0200, ocl <ocl@arayan.com> wrote:

> I do have the 'menu' package installed. I did not know I had to
> run 'update-menus' manually. Plus, a lot of stuff that has GUI
> does not get a menu item, even when 'update-menus' is issued.

You do not have to run update-menus manually unless you have added
your own personal menu entries or menu-methods (you haven't).

To work out where an item has been placed, you could try reading the
menu-entry placed in /usr/lib/menu, e.g.

~$ cat /usr/lib/menu/xterm
?package(xterm):\
 needs="x11"\
 section="XShells"\
 longtitle="XTerm: terminal emulator for X"\
 title="XTerm"\
 command="xterm"
?package(xterm):\
 needs="x11"\
 section="XShells"\
 longtitle="XTerm: terminal emulator for X with Unicode support"\
 title="XTerm (Unicode)"\
 command="uxterm

This tells me that there's an 'xterm' entry under 'XShells'.

Of course if you can't find a menu-entry in /usr/lib/menu, there might
not be one. File a bug on the program in question to get one added
(and CC to this thread, some helpful people like me may write it!)

If there is a menu entry under /usr/lib/menu, you haven't tinkered
with your own personal menus, and yet it still doesn't appear in your
application's menu, it could be a bug in that application (e.g. the
gnome panel).

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/