Re: Cannot connect to network now...

Brian Coiley wrote:

"Maurits van Rees" <maurits@vanrees.org> wrote in message
news:33sPs-2L1-39@gated-at.bofh.it...
Is it really locked up? Try CTRL-ALT-F1 to go to the first text

console. (CTRL-ALT-F7 to go back usually.) Or right click with your
mouse to see if a context menu comes up. I may be wildly off with my
guess here, but it reminds me of a simple window manager. If that's
the case you may want to install kde or gnome to get some more
extensive graphics.

I got a rather empty screen like yours once when I somehow failed to
notice that I had uninstalled kde... ;-)

You may be correct: I've done "apt-get install gnome" now, and startX gets
me into something a bit more sensible looking.  Unfortunately, my USB mouse
doesn't work, and I get an error which reads "Error activating XKB
configuration.  Probably internal X server problem."  I then need to do
ctrl-alt-backspace to get out, 'cos I can't get far without the mouse.

It sounds like the upgrade wasn't properly completed. If you got any errors during the upgrade, repeat the "apt-get dist-upgrade" command until you no longer get any errors.

If you still have problems after that, try "apt-get install x-window-system" to make sure you have all the base X packages installed.

dpkg-query -l dhc* | grep ii

In my case:
ii  dhcp-client        2.0pl5-19.1        DHCP Client

It shows the following:
ii  dhcp-client        2.0p15-11woody    DHCP Client

Hmmm; why a woody package on a sarge upgrade? Again, perhaps the upgrade wasn't completed?

The router is always on, and has had three
Windoze clients connecting with no problem for many, many months.  Also, the
Debian client was working with no problem until the upgrade to Sarge,
whereupon it wouldn't work at all, no matter how many reboots I tried.

I'm suspecting that perhaps your "/etc/apt/sources.list" file has a bad line or something similar in it.

--
Kent