Re: Newbie Nvidia/Woody problem

"Chris Lale" <chrislale@untrammelled.co.uk> wrote in message
news:32Zki-3Vv-1@gated-at.bofh.it...
> On Sun, 2004-11-21 at 11:32, Brian Coiley wrote:
>

> > Regarding Sarge, isn't that unstable?  What exactly does that mean?
> >
> Sarge is "Testing" - between Stable and Unstable. Sarge will soon (?)
> become the new stable.

OK, thanks.

> > How
> > exactly would I switch to it?  I deliberately chose to install Woody,
from a
> > set of CD's, because I felt that for a complete dunce like me it would
be
> > far easier than downloading and installing bleeding-edge stuff that I
don't
> > understand.
> >

> Easy as 123. One of the benefits of Debian.
>
> 1. Edit your /etc/apt/sources.list to include mirrors like these:
>
> deb ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/ sarge main contrib non-free
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US/ sarge/non-US main
>
> You can find your local Debian mirror here:
> http://www.debian.org/mirror/list
>
> 2. Login as a normal user, switch to root user using su and update the
> package list:
>
> $ su
> (supply root password)
> # apt-get update
>
> 3. Upgrade and install the packages
>
> #apt-get dist-upgrade

OK, I think I can follow that, I'm gonna give it a go!

> Do look at the Debian Reference
> http://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#quick-reference

Looks useful!  I was really trying to get all my hardware working before
embarking on learning lots of good stuff, but I see that this may be a
somewhat Windoze way of looking at it!

> > I do have a network connection, which is working OK.
>
> You will need some kind of broadband internet connection. I estimate
> that a 56k dialup connection would take 20 hours to download the files.

I do have broadband.  I was really replying to Andrea's point that a more
recent release might handle my network card better.

> Chris.

Many thanks Chris!  I'll come back and let you all know how I got on!