Re: Newbie Nvidia/Woody problem

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 10:30:17 -0000, Brian <bcap@clara.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> Complete Linux newbie here.  Successfully partitioned the disk on my W2K
> box, and got it dual-booting with Woody (installed from a CD set).  I
> thought that was pretty cool, and I was going good!  Tried startx, and got
> this: (EE) No devices detected.
>
> Hmmm, no video driver presumably.  My video card is a an ASUS V9520 Magic
> (Nvidia GeForce FX5200 Series).  No Linux drivers at Asus, so tried Nvidia:
> lots there!  Unfortunately the most recent ones all refused to install
> because they don't support kernel versions earlier than 2.4 (despite the
> readme saying that 2.2.12 is the minimum).  The Woody install seems to have
> given me 2.2.20.
>
> So, by trial and error, I have finished up with driver version 5328.
> However, when I run the Nvidia install, I finish up with the following
> error: "Unable to load the kernel module nvidia.o.  This is most likely
> because the kernel module was built using the wrong kernel header files.
> Blah blah blah."
>
> Now, I've used apt to install kernel-source-2.2.20.  I have used the
> kernel-include-path switch on the Nvidia installer to point at the folder
> containing the kernel.h file, which is what the installer seems to want.
> Thus, my command line is this:
>
>     sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-5328-pkg1.run --kernel-include-path
> /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.20/include
>
> But, I still get the error described above.
>
> Incidentally, before the install fails,  I get a warning that "The compiler
> used to compile the kernel was gcc 2.7; the current compiler is gcc 2.95."
> Thus far I have overriden this warning and gone ahead anyway, but could
> someone tell me how to set the CC environment variable, as suggested by the
> installer, to get the correct compiler?
>
> If all this is complete codswallop (or if indeed I am in the wrong
> newsgroup!) please don't spare my feelings!  As I said, I am a complete
> newbie, and all help will be very gratefully received, even if only to
> direct me elsewhere!  If any technical help is forthcoming, please, please
> treat me like an idiot!  I need actual commands to type!

Surely someone with a nvidia card that read this list will answer
helping you, but in the meantime you can search for former answers in
the Debian mailing list archive (http://lists.debian.org/search.html)
or with google (you can search "debian woody geforce" or "debian woody
nvidia").

Said that, probably you'll find easier to switch to Sarge, if you have
a network connection, that should have better support for your card,
as there should be some packages with support for the nvidia binary
drivers, but YMMV... =)

Andrea