Re: Nikon Coolpix 5200

Clifton Sluss wrote:
I am currently running debian sid kde 3.3.1 kernel 2.6.7-1-686-smp,
and in the market for a digital camera, i really like the nikon
coolpix 5200  but it is not listed in KDE's digital camera menu under
control center.  i was wondering if anyone out there might know if the
5200 would work with this setup

I have a Nikon Coolpix 5200 too. I don't think it is supported by gphoto2 (and by extension, gtkam and KDE's digital camera system), even though both the Coolpix 5000 and 5400 are listed.

Anyway, I just configure the camera to use USB mass storage protocol instead of PTP (it's in the camera's setup menu) and mount it as a USB flash drive. It works, but with a catch (perhaps somebody knows why?): if I attach the device and turn it on, /dev/sdb is created, but not /dev/sdb1 (even though that's the partition I really need to mount). Only when I do 'fdisk /dev/sdb', /dev/sdb1 is created. With a normal USB flash drive, both /dev/sdb and /dev/sdb1 are automatically created.

--
"Codito ergo sum"
Roel Schroeven