Re: Installing Development Headers

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 11:08:56 -0500, Jeremy Brown <jeremy@brownjava.org> wrote:
> Is there any script or command in Debian that will install development
> header subpackages for all of the packages on my system?
>
> If you'd like to compile software above and beyond what is shipped with
> Debian, I've found that you end up manually searching for -dev packages
> for each piece of software your from-source software might possibly
> depend on.

John's advice is good  for packages in debian which you want to build
from source for whatever reason. Pigeon's will do what you asked, but
I don't suppose you'd like to do that ;) Really, it is down to your
from-source software clearly listing what libraries it depends on. If
a particular program is proving troublesome, perhaps letting the
author know that it would be useful to have such a list would help
other people in the same situation?

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/