Re: applications on gnome don't start.

NabilM@kuveytturk.com.tr wrote:

Hi,
I installed Sarge (Debian 3.1 testing) on my machine. It looks very
nice. It was a basic install and I selected the Desktop Environment
packages only during install. I was able to answer the right questions
and gnome started very well. I also made a normal user account. However,
when I login using gdm to gnome, many applications like openoffice,
gnomemeeting, Desktop Background etc. and many more don't run. I see in
the ps list that the processes are running but they just don't show up.
And some times, the application that I ran comes up after like 10
minutes. Also, some times, the Application, and Action drop-down menus
freeze, and then again start working after like 10 minutes.
So, what happens if you login via gdm to icewm, or wmaker, or KDE?

What happens if you disable gdm and start gnome (or icewm, or wmaker, etc) via "startx".

Do you have "lo" definined in /etc/networking/interfaces? Does it show up in the output of "ifconfig"?

Do you have your localhost defined in /etc/hosts?

What happens if you try with a different user?

--
Kent