Re: User can't start firefox

Jerry Turba wrote:

I just installed debian on a computer for a friend (PIII 500meg ram) and everything has gone fairly well. I installed firefox and thunderbird
and some of the basic programs.

Root can start and run firefox and thunderbird. there is only 1 other
user. He can start thunderbird but not firefox. When entering the command
mozilla-firefox from the terminal there is a error message.

Xlib: XDM authorization key matches an existing client!

(firefox-bin:1449): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

How do I correct this situation with the authorization keys? I do not
understand what it is referring to, or how to correct it.

Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Jerry

Are you starting X via "xdm"? If so, try disabling it ("/etc/init.d/xdm stop") and start X with "startx".

Any difference?

What happens if you create another new user? Does that user have problems also?

What happens if you delete any .xauth -type files in that user's home directory and have him login again and try again?

--
Kent