Re: Is life with 'udev' good?

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 20:55:42 -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 19:32 -0700, Jamin W. Collins wrote:

>> Don't know about a "general concensus" but I'm quite happy with udev's
>> operation and having consistent device names for my USB and Firewire
>> devices.
>
> What kind of names?  Can you give some examples?  When I insert a pen
> drive, for example, /var/log/syslog says that it is /dev/sdc1 instead of
> something devfs-like /dev/usb/port01/drive01/part01.

The purpose of udev is to allow selection of names by the user
(adminstrator).  What kind of names?  Without going into much detail,
because I'm lazy and no expert, the choice is mostly yours.

The /dev/sdc1 reflects the kernel's name for your device.  It's quite
simple to tell udev to create additional names, through symbolic links,
for this device; examples might be the devfs name you provided and/or
/dev/pendrive.  If you have more than one such drive, you might choose
/dev/pendrive1 and/or /dev/pendrive2 and/or /dev/brandname-pendrive, and
you get the same name every time the drive(s) is (are) connected.