Re: Is life with 'udev' good?

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 19:32 -0700, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 02:43:31PM -0500, Christian Convey wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > I'm considering installing the 'udev' package as part of my Sarge 2.6
> > installation.  My motivation is that I'm often baffled when trying to
> > figure out which USB device is associated with USB devices I plug in.
> >
> > Is there a general concensus about whether udev makes life better or worse?
>
> Don't know about a "general concensus" but I'm quite happy with udev's
> operation and having consistent device names for my USB and Firewire
> devices.

What kind of names?  Can you give some examples?  When I insert
a pen drive, for example, /var/log/syslog says that it is /dev/sdc1
instead of something devfs-like /dev/usb/port01/drive01/part01.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

I can't make you have an abortion, but you can *make* me pay
child support for 18 years? However, if I want the child (and
all the expenses that entails) for the *rest*of*my*life*, and you
don't want it for 9 months, tough luck???