Re: sound driver

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 04:41:26PM -0700, Justin Guerin wrote:
> These won't work, because the arguments are provided to the kernel, not to
> the module.  If your sound driver were compiled into the kernel, this would
> be the proper way to provide the argument.  Since it's not, you've got to
> provide the argument when the module actually loads.

Ah...

> One easy way is to specify the option as an argument to modprobe.  I can't
> remember the exact format, but I think it's sufficient to do "modprobe
> snd-via82xx irq=22".  I'll keep looking for the proper format, but I'll
> send this message, just in case the above works.

So, I've been succesful in getting the sound driver (vi82cxxx_audio)
to not load upon boot.  However, it now looks like the problem is
deeper than just passing the right IRQ to the module... :(  /sbin/lsmod
shows no sound driver and when I try to play an ogg file, I get
"Error: Cannot open device oss."  But, "lspci -v" shows that the sound
card has been assigned IRQ 18!

0000:00:11.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 4161
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 18
        I/O ports at e000 [size=256]
        Capabilities: <available only to root>

Just to check, I tried "sudo /sbin/modprobe via82cxxx_audio irq=22".
It gives the error "Warning: ignoring irq=22, no such parameter in
this module".

Anyway, the sound card is getting assigned an IRQ before the sound
module is loaded.  It seems that something is going wrong at the PnP
layer!  Feels like every time I figure something out, there's another
problem lurking underneath...

Jason