Re: sound driver

On Friday 19 November 2004 16:08, Jason Rennie wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 11:51:22AM -0700, Justin Guerin wrote:
> > Sounds like you have a DMA or IRQ problem.  Can you check which DMA and
> > IRQ channels are assigned during Knoppix boot, and during Debian boot?
> > You may have to tell the sound module to use a specific IRQ when it's
> > loaded.  I had to do the same thing with my ISA card, when I first
> > configured it.  I just went down the list of available IRQs before I
> > got to one that worked.
>
> Did some reading on the subject.  The Sound How-To confirms your
> suspicisions:
>
>   Another symptom is sound samples that loop. This is usually caused
>   by an IRQ conflict.
>
> The Boot Prompt How-To has information on boot arguments, but they
> don't seem to work.  I tried both "sound=22" and "snd-via82xx=22"
> (after making sure I had alsa-modules-2.4.27-1-686 installed), but the
> card gets configured with IRQ 18.  Here's the dmesg output:
>
> Via 686a/8233/8235 audio driver 1.9.1-ac3
> via82cxxx: Six channel audio available
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:11.5 to 64
> ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: VIA97 (Unknown)
> via82cxxx: board #1 at 0xE000, IRQ 18
>
> jrennie@desk:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
> root=/dev/hdb2 ro snd-via82xx=22

These won't work, because the arguments are provided to the kernel, not to
the module.  If your sound driver were compiled into the kernel, this would
be the proper way to provide the argument.  Since it's not, you've got to
provide the argument when the module actually loads.

> Any ideas what else I should try?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Jason

One easy way is to specify the option as an argument to modprobe.  I can't
remember the exact format, but I think it's sufficient to do "modprobe
snd-via82xx irq=22".  I'll keep looking for the proper format, but I'll
send this message, just in case the above works.

As for making it permanent across a reboot, you've got two options.  You can
compile the module in the kernel, and specify the IRQ on the kernel command
line (as you did above), or you can edit a file somewhere and provide the
argument to modprobe when it loads the module at boot time.  I'm trying to
find that file, but I haven't yet. :-/  I'll let you know if I find the
information I'm lacking.  Sorry I can't be of more help right now, but it
was so long ago that I had to twiddle with my sound card.

Justin