Re: Trying to install alien made wxPython .deb package.

On November 19, 2004 06:52 pm, Micha Feigin wrote:
> At Thu, 18 Nov 2004 12:59:41 -0700,
>
> Anthony Hoskins wrote:
> > Good day folks,
> >
> > I am trying to update my wxPython package so I can run Boa Constructor.
> > I have tried installing from source, but encountered some errors which I
> > don't remember now, but could probably replicate if need be.
> >
> > I also tried installing via apt-get, which left me with an outdated
> > distrobution of wxPython, and currently i'm getting the message when
> > trying to start Boa: Sorry! This version of Boa requires atleast wxPython
> > 2.4.0.7
> >
> > So I tried to get the packages from the wxPython site, but they only have
> > packages for Redhat, and I think Mandrake. I then tried to download and
> > convert with alien two packages:
>
> What version of debian is this?
>
> There is a package for boa-constructor and for the various wx packages
> versions 2.4.2 and 2.5.1 in unstable and probably testing (2.5.1 is a bit
> old for 2.5 packge as 2.5.3 is out)
>
> Look in http://www.backports.org/ and http://www.apt-get.org if you are
> using woody whether someone backported newer ones to woody.
>
> The latest cvs snapshot (2.5.3), which is considered rather stable BTW,
> contains now the code for building the debian package. I can post the build
> I made somewhere if you want (its for unstable, no modifications to the cvs
> version).
>
> > // redhat 9 package for gtk2-ansi Python 2.2:
> > alien --to-deb wxPython2.5-gtk2-ansi-2.5.3.1-rh9_py2.2.i386.rpm
> >
> > //redhat 9 package for gtk-ansi python 2.2:
> > alien --to-deb wxpython2.5-gtk-ansi-2.5.3.1-rh9_py2.2.i386.rpm
> >
> > the first pacakge for gtk2-ansi won't even work, but the second package
> > for gtk-ansi creates a new deb package just fine. This package can be run
> > with Package Manager it seems, but when I try to install them I get the
> > following errors:
> >
> > // BEGIN ERROR
> >
> > <2.5-gtk-ansi-2.5.3.1-rh9_py2.2.i386.rpm;echo RESULT=$?
> > error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - No such file or directory
> > (2) error: cannot open Packages database in /var/lib/rpm
> > RESULT=1
> >
> > // END ERROR
> >
> > I've tried using apt-get to get libdb3 but it says I already have the
> > latest version. Is this some kind of problem with the package trying to
> > use a redhat setup on a debian machine? If you know of a link to a site
> > that already discusses this, I could use it.
> >
> > *note* a lot of my problems (not rpm problems) might be because this is
> > the runtime, and not the common release, however you can only install one
> > version of wxPython and I don't really know how to uninstall it. Will the
> > common release from apt-get work, or will I need to uninstall this
> > completely?
> >
> > If this post belongs better somewhere else, please let me know and I will
> > repost it accordingly. Thank you in advance for any time you take to help
> > me out.

> [...]

I posted this follow up but I think I accidently mailed it to one person
instead of the list, hopefully this clears it up, sorry to whoever got just
that message, i'll do my best to avoid this mistake in the future.
Below is the follow up, I am only posting it because I have fixed the problem
and hopefully this will end up on google somewhere and help someone else.

// BEGIN PREVIOUSLY POSTED FOLLOW UP

Following Up:

I saw on the wxPython site that the packages were only available in the
'unstable' and 'testing' apt repositories. So I added the following lines to
my sources.list:

 deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib
non-free
 deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

Unfortunately this ended up giving me the following errors when I tried to
run apt-get -t unstable install wxPython:

//BEGIN ERROR

E: Couldn't find package wxPython

//END ERROR

So naturally I ran apt-get update, which lead to more problems:

// BEGIN ERROR

Reading Package Lists... Error!
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
E: Error occured while processing nautilus-cd-burner (NewVersion1)
E: Problem with MergeList
/var/lib/apt/lists/http.us.debian.org_debian_dists_unstable_main_binary-i386_Packages
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

//END ERROR

And now things get ugly:

(none):/etc/apt# apt-cache search wxPython
Segmentation fault

* deep breath *  -- ok, so I searched google and found this:
http://lists.slug.org.au/archives/slug-chat/2003/07/msg00127.html

I too made a huge Cache-Limit as on this page, and added it to my
/etc/apt/apt.conf.d/00Cache file as instructed at the bottom. This lead to
more problems:

(none):/etc/apt/apt.conf.d# apt-get upgrade
File size limit exceeded 0%

And being a newbie, i'm am officially, very lost.

// END OF FOLLOWUP

Yet another follow up:  ok, I commented out my 'stable' lines, and left only
the unstable ones, then I removed the 00Cache file, and everything was back
to normal. I updated apt-get and some packages, and was pleased to find that
wxPython updated to a good enough release, as well as Python to 2.3.

Thanks to Paolo, Micha, Sergio and all others who respond to this thread, I
hope this helps someone else out.

PS: I'm not too sure how bad updating to unstable is, could someone let me
know if there are any negative consequences to this, other than the fact that
software may crash?