Re: Kernel 2.4

| <http://www.linux.org.uk/~davej/docs/post-halloween-2.6.txt>

Andreas ....

  Thanks for posting the above link
  entailing Linux kernel 2.6 advantages,
  changes, problems, etc.

  I'm relatively new to Linux, only 3.5 months
  with Debian Sarge using kernel 2.4.27,
  have been curious about the 2.4 - 2.6 version
  differences, and the document you cited
  provided a very comprehensive overview ....

  However, since the paper shows (Updated as of 2.6.0),
  I'm wondering if a significant portion of the problems
  addressed there have been corrected, since 2.6 is now
  at 2.6.8 or 2.6.9 instead of 2.6.0 when the paper
  was initially written ....

  Although many reasons for upgrading 2.4 to 2.6
  seem compelling to me, internet connectivity problems
  on the 5.5 year-old machine I use with 2.6 kernels
  and an early version of Mandrake 10 and also
  with the Knoppix 3.4 CD and HDD install versions
  leave me somewhat apprehensive about changing ....

  In both cases, MDK-10 and Knoppix 3.4, this old machine
  ran OK, but the aDSL internet connections using
  a Reltek NIC ( 8139too ) are problematic, sometimes
  not connecting at all or timing out at almost any site ....

  After reading the  Haloween  paper yesterday,
  I tried the Knoppix 3.4 CD with the 2.6 kernel
  again last night, and net connectivity problems
  remain ....

  Are these types of connectivity problems
  commonly fixable via simple config changes
  or changing/re-compiling NIC drivers ????

--
Cousin Stanley
Human Being