Re: Re: Kernel 2.4

On 11/20/2004 08:00 AM, Cousin Stanley wrote:

[...]

>   Although many reasons for upgrading 2.4 to 2.6
>   seem compelling to me, internet connectivity problems
>   on the 5.5 year-old machine I use with 2.6 kernels
>   and an early version of Mandrake 10 and also
>   with the Knoppix 3.4 CD and HDD install versions
>   leave me somewhat apprehensive about changing ....
>
>   In both cases, MDK-10 and Knoppix 3.4, this old machine
>   ran OK, but the aDSL internet connections using
>   a Reltek NIC ( 8139too ) are problematic, sometimes
>   not connecting at all or timing out at almost any site ....
>
>   After reading the  Haloween  paper yesterday,
>   I tried the Knoppix 3.4 CD with the 2.6 kernel
>   again last night, and net connectivity problems
>   remain ....
>
>   Are these types of connectivity problems
>   commonly fixable via simple config changes
>   or changing/re-compiling NIC drivers ????

You could say more about your connectivity problem in a new thread for this subject.

Can you post some error messages or log entries?

I haven't had any problems on my cable hookup using a basic Realtek NIC. Do you have anything like this in your /var/log/dmesg?

8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26
PCI: Found IRQ 3 for device 00:0e.0
eth0: RealTek RTL8139 at 0x1000, 00:30:bd:28:c6:ea, IRQ 3
eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8100B/8139D'

Regards.