Re: autofs or am-utils?

On Fri, 2004-11-19 at 19:49 -0800, Alvin Oga wrote:

> On Sat, 20 Nov 2004, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > Since I'm an xterm kinda guy instead of a nautilus user, what is
> > > the best package to use to automatically recognize & mount these
> >
> > Autofs :-)  Make some directories under /media for your devices, and teach
> > autofs to automount them.  The devices won't be mounted upon insertion, but
> > rather upon access.  This is usually good enough.

Ok.  So there's still some manual work behind the magic.

> if running as root, i think the gui pops up the device being
> inserted plugged in
>
> if running as user, you might need to add extra options in /etc/fstab
> and in autofs files ( /etc/auto.master -> /etc/auto.removable )
>
> since i had the pesky popups when a cd is inserted ... just just kill
> it vs figuring out where it all came from
> 	- discover vs anaconda vs other hw insert/detect apps
> 	- the gui apps
> 	- the kernel needs plug-n-play turned on too
> 	( i turn it off in my configs )

The pesky popups don't pop up on my system.  I disabled (but have
now forgotten how) nautilus from auto-starting and managing my
icons, so I don't have a real "desktop" (and I like it that way).

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA
PGP Key ID 8834C06B

Welfare Democracies will only work, in the long term, if the
"recipients" of the wealth given to them by the earners use that
wealth to become earners themselves. Unfortunately, only a small
% of "recipients" seem to be availing themselves of the
opportunity.