Re: Where are config questions in install of latest sarge, and other questions...

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 13:50:38 -0500
"Williams, Allen" <awilli08@harris.com> wrote:

> I checked the debian site for sarge release notes, and if they're
> there, I can't find 'em, so it's back to the mailing list;-)
>
> I had been running sarge since June, and I just did a complete
> reinstall of the latest sarge (don't ask- it's embarassing), dated
> 11/17, I think.
>
> 1.  It never asked me the hardware config questions I was used to with
> both woody and sarge.  What happened to them, how do I find out what
> device support is installed, and get support for devices that might
> not be installed (i.e., download drivers for stuff- although now that
> I've said it, I guess they're just apt packages, right?).

It sounds like you entered 'expert' or 'expert26' at the boot prompt on
the previous install and didn't on your latest install.

Is there something that's not working on your computer, or why do you
think you need more drivers? What do you need the drivers for? Answers
to those questions would help us help you tremendously. Most likely any
hardware drivers you need are already in the kernel waiting to be
loaded. If you need software stuff, then yes, it's usually available via
apt-get.

> 2.  My desktop went from KDE to Gnome.  Is this normal?  Where do I
> set the default desktop?

I guess you didn't use the Debian-Installer the Sarge installation you
had been running since June? Yes, Gnome is the default for a new
installation. You can change whether it uses Gnome or KDE though by
changing your session options before you login (it's usually a menu
option). When you change it, it will ask if you want the new choice to
be the default.

> 3.  This machine is to be used primarily for software development.
> Any opinions on which desktop is best for that?

The one you can work with the best. :-) For me, it's IceWM.

> 4.  I can't log in to the X desktop as root.  Where do I fix that?  Is
> this in/etc/X11/config (I'm not at my Debian system)?

Guessing from your vague information, it sounds like a fairly default
Sarge installation you're running. Which should mean the 'X desktop'
you're trying to login on is GDM (Gnome Desktop Manager). So allowing
root logins is something that can be controlled by clicking on Actions -
Configure Login Manager and then enter your root password and go to the
Security tab and check "Enable root logins".

HTH,
Jacob