Re: Default Routes, configuring networking

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004, Steve Spiller wrote:
> and Windows XP). However, the two Sarge boxes cannot ping each other or
> other systems by name, only by IP address (local net range 192.168.0.x). I

This means your name resolution is busted.  Things that have to do with it
need to be checked:
  /etc/nsswitch.conf
  /etc/resolv.conf

  any caches (lwresd, nscd).

Connectivity to the nameservers (DNS).

> I have done some digging around and I think it has something to do with the
> network routing set up on the Sarge boxes. (netstat -r output below)
>
> Destination   Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt Iface
> 192.168.0.0   *               255.255.255.0   U         0 0          0 eth0
> default       firewall        0.0.0.0         UG        0 0          0 eth0

Get used to the "ip" command, you'll learn a lot more. Anyway, try netstat
-nr.

And "grep firewall /etc/hosts" to find out why there is a firewall line in the
netstat output.

> /etc/resolv.conf:
> search ezcomputers.co.uk
> nameserver 192.168.0.1
> nameserver 192.168.0.2
> nameserver 10.1.1.10
> nameserver 10.1.1.11
>
> 192.168.0.1/2 are the PDC & BDC

Unless you have DNS servers there, remove their nameserver lines.

> /etc/host.conf:

This is ignored.  /etc/nsswitch.conf is used instead.

> They are both set to be DHCP clients.

Make sure the DHCP daemon is not overwriting /etc/resolv.conf with crap.
And, of course, make sure you are not publishing wrong info on DHCP (if your
PDC and BDC are NOT DNS servers, they should not be adverticed as such by
DHCP).

  Henrique Holschuh