Re: debian architectures

On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 10:40:33 +0100, Mauro Darida <robert@nonsense.com> wrote:
> I cannot quite understand which machines debian "architectures" are
> referring to. Of course I know that x-86 are common pcs, sparc are sun
> workstations, but others are quite cryptic to me. Anyone willing to
> translate into non-developer language??

Well is this just for curiosity's sake? why not try some googling? If
you don't know what  they are, odds are you don't need to use 'em.
powerpc is the CPU type used by macs and a few other things,
MIPS/alpha more esoteric hardware, ia64 64bit PCs, hppa afaik the
HP-UX server arch (although I think more modern ones use powerpc?)
etc.

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/