protecting a colour printer

We have two printers here, a colour and a l/w printer. The folks at
our lab are of the 'just make it work' type and don't care much
about anything, so they just print to the colour printer, whether
they need it coloured or not. of course, the price per page on this
thing is about 3 times that of the regular printer, but why would
they care...

So I am wondering what some strategies would look like to make sure
they print b/w instead. We do not have a username or machine policy,
so we cannot work with lpd accounting. Some approaches that have
come to my mind:

  - impose a delay of several minutes. that has the problem that an
    urgent printout won't work, and people *will* forget to cancel
    jobs.

  - use a web interface to require prior authorisation... having to
    visit a page and entering some text will likely deter people. is
    there something out there that does this? can cups do this?

  - is there an accounter per IP address that we could install on
    the print server?

What are your experiences?

`. `'`