Re: slightly OT: debian-friendly print server?

On Thu, Nov 18, 2004 at 03:09:31PM -0600, Jacob S wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:41:00 -0500

> > network currently runs through a smc2404wbr wireless (802.11b) router
> > (which I confess doesn't work all that well).  I'm looking for
> > something that would make one or, preferably, both the printers
> > accessible directly over the net, and that isn't a huge pain to make
> > work with the debian boxes (I've had some difficulty with shared
> > printers over SAMBA at work, tho I think that's partly the fault of
> > the Windoze admins there).  both these printers accept parallel port
> > and USB 1.1/2.0 connections, so either mode would be fine, tho I guess
> > usb 2.0 would be best.  I'd also be willing to pay out a few more
> > bucks for a combination wireless router/ print server, since our
> > router kinda sucks.
>
> I'm too cheap to buy hardware just for a print server around the house,
> so I've setup my Debian box to do the job. Using cups, netatalk and
> samba, all the Debian, Mac OS X and windows 98 machines in my house are
> able to print. It works great for me.

that sounds great.  but I'd kinda rather not have the debian desktop
turned ON all the time -- it's a bit powerhungry and kinda loud.  Will
keep this in mind as a possible solution, though.  thx!
mat

> Recently, due to some interesting circumstances (unrelated to hardware
> and software) we had to move the printer to the Windows machine, instead
> of being connected directly to my Debian box. No problem - I just edited
> the printer in cups on my machine, after setting up the printer on the
> Windows machine and now all the Linux machines and OS X can print again.
> Only 2 machines had to be configured to restore all the printing - the
> windows machine and the print server.

that is pretty cool, actually.

 .''`.       Matt Price
: :'  :      Debian User