Re: slightly OT: debian-friendly print server?

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 15:41:00 -0500
Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> hi folks,
>
> this is a hardware question, so maybe slightly OT.  I am looking for a
> way to make our 2 printers easily accessible over the 'net, nad wouldl
> ove to hear back on other people's experience.  here's
> what we have:
>
> 1 brother hl-1440 laser printer
> 1 canon s520 inkjet printer
> 2 debian boxes (one laptop, one desktop)
> 2 windows boxes
>
> network currently runs through a smc2404wbr wireless (802.11b) router
> (which I confess doesn't work all that well).  I'm looking for
> something that would make one or, preferably, both the printers
> accessible directly over the net, and that isn't a huge pain to make
> work with the debian boxes (I've had some difficulty with shared
> printers over SAMBA at work, tho I think that's partly the fault of
> the Windoze admins there).  both these printers accept parallel port
> and USB 1.1/2.0 connections, so either mode would be fine, tho I guess
> usb 2.0 would be best.  I'd also be willing to pay out a few more
> bucks for a combination wireless router/ print server, since our
> router kinda sucks.

I'm too cheap to buy hardware just for a print server around the house,
so I've setup my Debian box to do the job. Using cups, netatalk and
samba, all the Debian, Mac OS X and windows 98 machines in my house are
able to print. It works great for me.

Recently, due to some interesting circumstances (unrelated to hardware
and software) we had to move the printer to the Windows machine, instead
of being connected directly to my Debian box. No problem - I just edited
the printer in cups on my machine, after setting up the printer on the
Windows machine and now all the Linux machines and OS X can print again.
Only 2 machines had to be configured to restore all the printing - the
windows machine and the print server.

HTH,
Jacob